David Asch, Mohan Balachandran, David Do, Krisda Chaiyachati, Kathleen Lee, alongside Kit Delgado and Anna Morgan, have received funding from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) to evaluate the use of COVID Watch, focusing on whether it reduces disparities in care among Black and Latino patients. The study will assess COVID Watch with and without the use of fingertip pulse oximetry.
The COVID-19 pandemic has made it more important than ever to get the flu shot. Despite numerous efforts, flu vaccination rates in the U.S. have been mostly unchanged over the past decade. In fact, less than half of Americans get the vaccine each year. On his new blog, Mitesh Patel discusses what can be done to change that - offering three ways to improve flu shot campaigns.
COVID-19 created an urgent need to expand access to telehealth treatment for substance use disorder (SUD). In a piece for the Journal of Addiction Medicine, Krisda Chaiyachati and others outline steps to initiate and maintain successful telehealth treatment for SUD during and after the pandemic.
Working in collaboration with the World Well-Being Project, Raina Merchant, Sharath Guntuku, Elissa Klinger, and Lauren Southwick are mining social media data to make sense of the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Learn about their findings on sentiment, symptoms, state-by-state cases, and more in this piece by Twitter Developer.
Apply for a two-year fellowship in health services research with the Nudge Unit and the Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion (CHERP) at the VA. Use the link below to access more information about the program and application requirements. The deadline to apply is December 1, 2020.
- Rethinking ethical oversight in the era of the learning health system, Healthcare: The Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation
- Why pooled testing for COVID-19 may help America’s schools to open safely, USA TODAY
- Specimen pooling to conserve additional testing resources when persons’ infection status is correlated, Epidemiology
- Penn Medicine gets $2.5M to study RPM’s effect on COVID-19 disparities, Healthcare IT News
- 2.5 Million Grant Supports Penn Medicine Study of COVID Watch’s Impact on Health Disparities, Penn Medicine News Blog
- Who helps the helpers? Why health care workers need emotional PPE, Today Show
- Krisda Chaiyachati on Wharton Business Daily, Wharton on SiriusXM
- Can a Community-Based Care Management Program Reduce Costs, Visits Among Medicaid Enrollees?, The American Journal of Managed Care
- Penn Medicine Receives $4.9 Million Grant to Improve Uptake of Cancer Care Best Practices, Penn Medicine News Blog
- How to Make Digital Health Apps and Devices Actually Useful in Healthcare, Penn Medicine News Blog
- Prescribing Behavior Change: Opportunities and Challenges for Clinicians to Embrace Digital and Mobile Health, JMIR